Organise Asana Projects
Sep 25 2013
UPDATE: Ditto - the successor to this tool - has now been launched. Please give it a go and let me know how you get on!
I was faced recently with wanting to move Asana projects from one workspace to another. Unfortunately this isn’t a feature in the Asana interface (yet).
There’s a PHP script floating around GitHub which will copy tasks between projects. This requires you to do some manual checking of project IDs, and you need to create the target project in advance, so I’ve extended the script and written a front-end web interface for it.
You can get the source code on BitBucket.
Visit asana.kothar.net to use the tool
Before you start, you may need to set up a few things that the tool can’t do on its own though the API.
- Add your new user account (for your destination workspace) to your old workspace, if not already using the same email address
- Log in to Asana with your new account
- Add any accounts you want to keep task assignments for to the new workspace
- Add any custom fields you want to keep to the new workspace (pro workspaces)
- Log in to the tool: https://asana.kothar.net
- Choose the source workspace and project you’d like to copy
- Choose where you’d like to copy to
- Hit Go!